Friday, May 04, 2012

Speaking in Tongues

How many pray for the ability to speak in tongues? I mean the Gift of Tongues from the Holy Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:4-11. "The manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given...different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues." In high school, I decided to take French classes. Living on the Canadian border, it made more sense than Spanish. After graduation, a classmate moved away and majored in Arabic in college. That seemed like such a weird major to me. Now, working where I work, I wish I knew more of both Spanish AND Arabic. Ok, I don't even know if I'm at a level where I can say I want to know "More" of either, but I do know words here and there.

A nurse friend of mine once told me that she prays for the gift of healing. Being a nurse is to take care of those who are sick in one way or another and need healing. She would pray that she would be able to heal her patients and relieve them of their pain. In my case, as I have long term elderly patients who aren't necessarily sick, I need to pray for the gift of tongues. One lady can say this whole long phrase, but not until she says the word "bagno" do I know that she needs to go to the bathroom. To ask her if she's ready for bed, I would have to tilt my head and place it by my hands in the sleeping position. I now know when she says, "No letto," she's ready for bed. Pain is "dolore." Good night is "buonanotte." Eat is "mangiare." Yes, I used wordreference to look up the spellings of these words! I know some other words as well. And some are similar to French! I haven't figured out what "spinge me" means yet. That spelling I know is incorrect. As for the Arabic, I know how to say, "Give me my 8 o'clock medicine," roughly. I know you want to learn some so: "Ateeni" means give me. "Huboob" means pills. "Dawa" means medicine. "Waajaa" means pain. "Nam(i)" means bed. And the main word I hear, "yella," means come on. I can understand them quicker than I can think of them to say them myself.

But outside of these few words, and our one staff member who can interpret both languages whenever she's there, communicating with these patients is done through sign language and guessing. The only English they know is what they hear us repeat. If I were able to speak in tongues and/or interpret tongues, the care I give my patients would be so much greater. I would know right away what they are asking for, even if it's something as simple as "my head hurts" or "I'm done." I do pray that can give proper care to my patients each day, but I think I need to get more specific. Lord, give me the gift of speaking and/or interpreting tongues so that I can properly care for your children and provide the comfort and treatment that they need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home