Monday, April 04, 2011

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Last Sabbath in Zambia. We leave the islands tomorrow and fly from Lusaka on Monday.
            Something that has come up at least three times since being on Chishi Island(team Remnant Seed) ‘Don’t be too busy doing ministry that you don’t save any souls.’ We included that in a skit we did for Sabbath School this morning. Cindy, Michelle, Mwewa, and I were drowning. Someone acted as the pastor walking past us too busy with Bible study to save us. Then Musaka saves Mwewa. Then Alfred saves Cindy and Cindy comes back to save me. Michelle drowns. The story was to follow the saying “Saved to Serve.” The other saying above hits me more. Before the skit, we had an interview explanation of what IMPACT is and sang the IMPACT song. After the skit, I did the health talk. I spoke on meal timing and sizes again. I was more confident this time. 
During Sabbath School class, I sat with the kids. I didn’t understand much. Alfred told them the story of Elijah(Elia), Ahab(Ahabu) [which the kids pronounced Hahabu], and Jezebel. Then they recited songs and verses they knew. A little boy, names Joseph, knew almost everything, in English too. Church Service was about Noah. It was given by the crusade speaker, Elder Hastings. The end of the world will be like the flood. Will we heed our warning and prepare and help others prepare?

 
Part of the congregation at the church service. This was our warmest day. Yes, I wore sunscreen. But, no, we weren't sweating.



On the right: Joseph

            Between Sabbath School and Divine Worship, Michelle passed on the information that the little girl we cared for the previous morning had died upon arrival to the hospital. I was okay until we actually got to the funeral. We heard half the message, in Bemba, then they closed the blue diamond painted coffin and carried her right in front of us on the way to the burial site. I almost lost it, but all the children were staring at me. I almost lost it during the burial too, but again, for the sake of the children… The men took turns as 5 at a time buried the casket. They piled it pretty high. Everyone else was still singing from when they left the service site. We left before the end and continued further down the road to pass out clothing to the designated needy. During the burial and on the walk, I kept thinking about the little girl. We knew what needed to be done,but did not have the necessary supplies. I just wanted to go home, hug a pillow, and cry.
            We stopped by the service site on the way back to give our condolences. Cindy had asked me to share a little encouragement with whoever was gathered. I was more willing than nervous. But our guide did it himself. I actually really wanted to. My first full Zambian funeral, that of a patient, and speaking during the service. That’s a story! After his sermonette(in Bemba, so I don’t know what he said) we all greeted the mother and father, sitting in two separate groups, with the traditional funeral greeting of ‘I’m sorry,’ ‘Mwachuleni.’ The father responded, in English, with “God bless you.” Then we continued back to the camp passing out clothes. He really did seem content just that we cared enough to try to help their daughter.
            We learned a lot on that walk. If people have sticks in their front yard with a wrapper or container on it, that meant they had that item for sale. One person had sugar but everything else was alcohol. We also learned that the copper crosses that people talk about with devil worship are actually gold X’s. And if anyone tries to steal one off the island, the boat won’t leave the dock. We were actually told on Chilubi not to tell people when we were leaving because they could pray that our boat sinks. I never thought of that before then, nor on the boat between islands.


 
Alcohol advertisement


Cassava plants can get 7 feet high!!


            Around 9pm it was time to cook again. And until 0130, we cooked IMANA patties, fritters, chapatti, ground nuts, and cassava and made sure we had everything in our inventory (dishware, electrical equipment…). Even with bright lights and music blaring (we had a generator) that was a long night. I gave devotions at midnight. I shared the boldness of Peter and John that I’d been reading in Acts. Even after being arrested multiple times and told not to preach, they prayed and kept preaching. Our life is not on the line, but how boldly are we spreading God's word?

 
 Cindy and Musaka cooking Chapatti

 
You have to make a mess in order to clean. Notice our leader relaxing on the chairs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home