Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Joseph's Bones


Why did Joseph ask for the Israelites to take his bones out of Egypt when they left? I don’t remember if Joseph knew that his family would be put into slavery. But either way, Egypt was not his home, and he knew God’s promise to his forefathers. He knew that God would take His people out of Egypt eventually. 


The first amazing thing is that the people new about Joseph’s bones. The Israelites were in Egypt for 430 years. It was passed down through generations that, when they left Egypt, they were to take his bones. Joseph’s bones were a constant reminder to the people that Egypt was not their home. That slavery was not God’s plan for their lives. They should have been ready for Moses (or someone) to come and free them. Another example of mankind wanting to stay where they are familiar, even if safety is promised and provided. 

The second amazing thing is the faith of Joseph. He didn’t know when or how, but he knew that his people would leave Egypt. We don’t know the thoughts in his mind so I’m going to speculate. Maybe, as someone who was sold to the Egyptians, but stayed true to God, he never considered Egypt his home. Since he knew that God was going to take his people out of Egypt, he wanted to go too. He wanted to go back home. He thought, “One way or another, I will be home.” 


What kind of faith do I have? My promise is not that God will bring me out of slavery, but, like Joseph, do I believe in God’s promise? Do I believe that, wherever God calls me, He will be there with me, give me the words to say, and wisdom to know what to do? Or, like the Israelites, do I have a constant reminder that God is with me, providing for me, but I’m still scared to go where He wants me to go. Instead, I want to stay where it’s familiar, even if there’s a better world out there for me. God please give me the faith of Joseph!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home