Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday, June 26, 2010

My first full day in Zambia was the Sabbath! When we got to the church, Sabbath School was happening in many groups outside. I had to choose a place where I could hide from the sun! During the main church service that day we had communion. When we were told to find a partner for footwashing, all of us foreigners were just standing outside. A lady came up and put her arm in mine and asked if I had a partner yet. When I said no, she brought me over to get some water and a towel. It was during church that I got my first impression of Zambian singers! They’re great!
Afterward, we met up with the youth from another church and went to Amaka Lodge for lunch and Bible study. During lunch, Michelle and I questioned Nasi and Chama about what to expect on Chilubi Island, as far as cultural expectations, and learned some of the language (Bemba). “Muli Shani” means “How are you” and “Mukwai” is added at the end to make it proper.
We stayed there for most of the day, then returned to the Muungo’s for dinner and sleep. I was thinking about what God showed me during the church service: that I worry too much. For a shy girl, this new environment took a little getting used to. The next day we were to have a 10 hour over night bus ride, then a boat ride to the island, with no electricity, no running water, possibly no house to sleep in, lots of mosquitoes, bad water… I was trying not to be nervous. There was nothing I could do at that point. Just pray and know God was taking care of us.

Lusaka Central Seventh Day Adventist Church

The Mosque across the street from the church/Conference Headquarters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home